French Onion Soup with Olivia’s Butter & Garlic Croutons
Skill Level: Beginner
Cuisine: French American
Yields: 4 servings
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 cups assorted white, yellow, red onions, shallots, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 2 quarts beef broth
- 1/2 pound grated Gruyere, Parmesan, or cheese of your choice
- Olivia’s Butter & Garlic Croutons
- Melt the stick of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Cook until the onions are very soft and caramelized, about 25 minutes.
- Add the wine, Worcestershire and Balsamic vinegar, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid has evaporated and the onions are thick.
- Remove the bay leaves. Turn the heat down to medium low and add the beef broth, bring the soup back to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes. S
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- When you're ready to eat, preheat the broiler. Ladle the soup into ovenproof bowls. Arrange 5 or 6 croutons on top of the soup and cover with a handful of cheese.
- Place bowls on a sheet pan on middle rack of the oven and broil until cheese is brown and bubbling about 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before eating. Enjoy!
Check out these customer favorite recipes