Heidi’s Jarlsberg and Veggie Soup
Skill Level: Beginner
- 4 tbs butter
- 2 tbs flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¾ chopped carrots
- ½ chopped celery
- 1 small crown broccoli, chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped ½ tsp salt Pepper to taste
- 1 clove minced garlic ground sage and/or dried thyme to taste
- 2 cups heavy cream or ½ and ½
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ - 2 cups shredded Jarlsberg cheese, slightly dusted with flour so it won’t stick together
- Olivia’s Parmesan Pepper Crouton
- Begin by melting the butter in a medium sized sauce pan.
- Add vegetables and sauté until just tender. Add flour, stirring constantly over medium heat until well distributed. Gradually add the chicken broth, allowing mixture to thicken.
- In a separate bowl combine the cream and egg. Blend well. Add about ½ cup of the thickening broth to the heavy cream/egg mixture and mix.
- Add the mix to the soup, stirring constantly. Continue to simmer at lowest heat. If the soup is too thick, add more chicken broth.
- About 10 minutes before you serve your soup, add the shredded cheese. Add a little at a time and stir each addition of cheese until it has melted.
- Ladle into bowls and top with plenty of Olivia’s Parmesan Pepper croutons!
Check out these customer favorite recipes